VALUES WHICH DRIVE OUR MINISTRY
We believe that a person who is growing in their relationship with Jesus Christ is someone who is pursuing intimacy with God, community with insiders, and influence with outsiders.
God has spoken to us through the Bible and we recognize it as the final authority for our lives. The authority of God’s Word is the basis of all we do at Canopy. 2 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 4:12
Intimacy with God
God desires an intimate relationship with each of us. Christianity is not about following a set of rules; it is about knowing God personally through Christ. Through prayer, meditation, worship and Bible study, we can pursue and achieve intimacy with our loving Heavenly Father. John 15:5; 17:20-23
Our role is to create environments that are conducive to the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of people. Every environment in the church, from worship services to preschool activities to student ministry events, should be designed to effectively connect with its target audience. Acts 17:22-23; 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
God’s message of forgiveness through Christ is most effectively conveyed within the context of personal relationships. Canopy will encourage every attender to develop relationships with those outside the faith in order to influence them for Christ. We will stress going to where the people are. Matthew 28:19-20; Acts 1: 8; 2 Corinthians 5:14-21
Accountability, care and a sense of belonging are crucial to our spiritual growth. These three things are best achieved within the context of a small group of like-minded, relationally-connected believers. Canopy’s goal will be for every attender to be connected in a L.I.F.E. group. Acts 2:42, 46-47
As a gifted member of the body of Christ, each believer is responsible for exercising his or her gifts in tandem with other members of the body. It is not enough to exercise spiritual gifts. Maximum impact is contingent upon a coordinated, strategic exercise of gifts within the body. Many people within Canopy will serve as volunteers in the church. The church schedule, however, will deliberately be kept simple so that individuals have more time to serve in the community. Canopy will be known for the impact it makes on our community through hands-on, practical service. Romans 12:1, 4-6; Ephesians 4:11-13
WHAT WE BELIEVE
- God is bigger and better and closer than we can imagine.
- The Bible is God’s perfect guidebook for living.
- Jesus is God showing himself to us.
- Through His Holy Spirit, God lives in and through us now.
- Nothing in creation “just happened.” God made it all.
- Grace is the only way to have a relationship with God.
- Faith is the only way to grow in our relationship with God.
- God has allowed evil to provide us with a choice, God can bring good even out of evil events and God promises victory over evil to those who choose him.
- Heaven and hell are real places. Death is a beginning, not the end.
- The church is to serve people like Jesus served people.
- Jesus is coming again.